ACA Chefs Share Creative Recipes to Celebrate National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month
April 5, 2012
To celebrate National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Month in April, two chefs from the Academy of Culinary Arts at Atlantic Cape Community College personalize the sandwich with some of their favorite ingredients. Chef Jon Davies of Cape May and Chef Annmarie Chelius of Ocean City, take the grilled cheese sandwich to the next level.
Davies suggests elevating the “humble” grilled cheese sandwich to “gourmet status” by using Artisan breads and cheeses.
Chef Davies’ Farmhouse Cheddar on Sourdough – Serves 4
8 slices Artisan Sourdough Bread
8 oz Farmhouse Cheddar, sliced
1 each Fuji Apple, cored and sliced in 1/4-inch wedges
12 slices Applewood Smoked Bacon, cooked
Unsalted Butter, softened
· Place cheese on each slice of bread and top with 4 slices of apple and 3 slices of bacon
· Close sandwich and butter outside
· Preheat cast iron skillet over medium heat and cook sandwiches 4-5 minutes on each side until cheese melts and outside is golden brown
Chef Annmarie Chelius, a participating chef the Chefs Move to Schools program through First Lady Michelle Obama’s Let’s Move! campaign, teaches children how to eat healthy in her cooking demonstrations and favors the kid-friendly grilled cheese, prepared with cream cheese and fruit.
Chef Chelius’ Berry Cheesy Grilled Cheese – Serves 1
2 slices Cinnamon Streusel Bread
3 T Low-fat Cream Cheese
1 T Honey
3-4 each Strawberries, washed and sliced 1/8-inch in thickness*
Smart Balance Butter Spray
· Mix together the honey and cream cheese and spread on both pieces of bread
· Arrange the berries on top of one slice and top with the remaining slice of bread
· Spray each side of sandwich with the butter spray and place into a heated pan. Cook over low heat
· Cut sandwich into quarters. Serve with a glass of milk and a serving of your favorite fruit
*Use blueberries and strawberries for a patriotic treat!
The ACA, located at Atlantic Cape’s Mays Landing Campus, has been training future chefs and food service professionals since 1981. For more information on the Academy, call 1-800-645‑CHEF, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.atlantic.edu/aca.