ACCC Serves Up a Variety of Noncredit Culinary Classes This Spring
January 11, 2007
You can introduce your taste buds to new flavors from Mediterranean to Latin or become a whiz at preparing simple one-dish meals through culinary workshops this spring at Atlantic Cape Community College's Academy of Culinary Arts. The continuing education classes include:
- One Dish Meals-Learn simple steps to create tasty one-dish meals that will warm you up this winter from traditional pot roast to Chicken Marengo. Fee: $60. Thursday, Jan. 18, 6-9 p.m.
- Vegetarian Cooking-This workshop offers an introduction to the different classifications of vegetarian cuisine. Whether you're an ethical vegetarian or just looking to make your eating habits a little healthier, this is the class for you. Fee: $60. Wednesday, Jan. 31, 6-9 p.m.
- A Walk through the Beef Section of Your Supermarket-Learn all about the various cuts of beef available at your local supermarket. Our chef will explain which cooking methods are best for each cut, how to properly slice meat to increase tenderness, and review supermarket verbiage. Fee: $60. Tuesday, Feb. 6, 6-9 p.m.
- Cake Decorating-Our pastry chef will teach you the basics from making butter cream icing, piping borders and creating flowers to writing on cakes and tricks that will make your next confection look like it came from the corner bakeshop. Fee: $60. Thursday, Feb. 22, 6-9 p.m.
- Pizzas, Strombolis and Calzones-Learn how to compete with the pizzeria down the street and add your own flair to Italian favorites that your family will love. Fee: $60, Tuesday, March 20, 6-9 p.m.
- Mediterranean-Experience some of the authentic foods of the Mediterranean while learning to prepare dishes from the Tapas of Spain to the Petiscos of Portugal, with a little Italian antipasti and Mezedes of Greece. Fee: $60. Thursday, March 29, 6-9 p.m.
- Nuevo Latino Cuisine-Put a little Latin flair into your next dinner party using the ingredients and flavor combinations that make Latin cuisines so appealing. Fee: $60. Thursday, April 12, 6-9 p.m.
- Entrée Salads/Composed Salads-A look on any restaurant menu will reveal the popularity of salads as entrees. Learn how to mix and match items and pair dressing to salad greens. Fee: $60. Thursday, April 24, 6-9 p.m.
- Kitchen Dessert-Learn how to make delectable desserts in your own kitchen, from crème brulee, to flambéed fruits like bananas foster or a decadent mousse. Fee: $60. Tuesday, May 8, 6-9 p.m.
- Culinary Arts Training Program-This career preparation program offers hands-on courses that focus on the mastery of cooking principles and practical techniques that prepare you for the National Restaurant Association Food Service Sanitation certification exam. This five-month program prepares students for employment in the local culinary industry. Fee: $4,795. Monday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-2 p.m., beginning May 7.
Classes are taught by the ACA's team of professional chefs. Culinary workshops are held at the Academy, 5100 Black Horse Pike, Mays Landing. To register, call (609) 343-4829 or (609) 463-4774, ext. 4829, in Cape May County. Class sizes are limited, so register early. To register online or view the complete schedule of courses, visit www.atlantic.edu/web4students.