A Variety of Noncredit Culinary Classes Available this Fall
September 6, 2007You can become a kitchen whiz, from preparing homemade soups and pies to designing your own Halloween treats, through hands-on culinary workshops this fall at Atlantic Cape Community College's Academy of Culinary Arts. The continuing education classes include:
- Treats from the Garden-Learn how to use the remains of your summer garden so you can enjoy the fruits of your labor all year long with fresh herb oils, relishes and more. $60, Wednesday, Sept. 12, 6-9 p.m.
- Basic Meal Preparation Series-Spend five weeks focusing on classic, delicious dishes your family will love, including seared sea scallops, baked meatloaf with mushroom gravy, stuffed Cornish hens and homemade desserts. $275. Five Tuesdays beginning Sept. 18, 6-9 p.m.
- Halloween Treats-Designed for kids (age 10 and older) to bring a parent and learn together how to prepare ghoulish treats for trick or treating or Halloween parties, including candied apples, chocolate spiders and seasonal cupcakes. $60 per parent/child pair, Thursday, Oct. 25, 6-9 p.m.
- Hearty Soups-Get ready for winter by learning to prepare hearty soups that will stick to your ribs, including Hungarian goulash soup, wild mushroom and barley soup and seafood chowder. $60, Tuesday, Nov. 6, 6-9 p.m.
- Homemade Seasonal Pies-Learn pie crust basics and bakeshop secrets that will make this year's holiday pies the best ever. $60, Thursday, Nov. 15, 6-9 p.m.
- La Vigilia: Feast of the Fishes-Learn how to prepare this traditional Italian family-style feast of fresh pasta with clam sauce, calamari, baccala and other familiar items served on Christmas Eve. $75, Thursday, Dec. 6, 6-9:30 p.m.
- Eclairs and Crème Puffs-Learn to make cream fillings, chocolate and fondant coatings, and easy techniques to finish and display the tasty treats for your guests. $60, Thursday, Dec. 13, 6-9 p.m.
The Academy's professional chefs teach all workshops at the Academy, 5100 Black Horse Pike, Mays Landing. To register, call (609) 343-4829, (609) 625-1111, or (609) 463-4774, ext. 4829, in Cape May County. Class sizes are limited, so register early. To register online or view the complete schedule of courses, visit www.atlantic.edu/web4students.