Procedure No. 210.2
Area: Student Affairs
Revisions Approved: 8/3/10
Description: Student Grievances
Procedures of Academic Standards Committee; Matters of academic discipline.
The Academic Standards Committee will be the appeal board for students who wish to appeal a faculty member's, department chairperson's or testing director's disciplinary action. The following procedure will be followed in order to provide the student with due process.
- The Dean of Students and the department chairperson will be notified of the situation before any action is taken and they will attempt to resolve the matter before any recommendation for dismissal or suspension of the student.
- If the matter is not resolved, the faculty member, department chairperson or testing director will prepare a written statement of charges and submit to the Dean of Students. The Dean of Students office will send written notification of the violation to the student's home address by registered mail or delivered in person at least ten days before the date of the hearing.
- A hearing date will be selected that is mutually agreeable to all parties. The committee must have a quorum in order to hear the charge.
- The charges, all affidavits, and all exhibits which the College intends to submit will be made available to the person making the allegation and the charged student for inspection.
- The student may bring counsel to the hearing in a consultative role only.
- The student will have the opportunity to present his/her own version of the facts by personal statement as well as by affidavits and witnesses.
- The student will have the right to hear evidence against him/her and to question adverse witnesses personally.
- The committee will make a determination of the facts of each case solely on the basis of the evidence presented at the hearing. The chairperson of the committee will prepare a written statement of the committee's findings of fact and a recommendation to the Chief Academic Officer for action.
- The Chief Academic Officer receives recommendation and makes the appropriate decision regarding disciplinary action or dismissal of charges.
- A final appeal may be made to the College President.
Procedures:Student Grievances No. 210.3
Back to the Policies and Procedures Main Menu