Procedure No. 702.13
Area: Business Services
Description: Mail Room
It is the responsibility of the Mail Room to coordinate all incoming and outgoing U. S. mail and to distribute all such mail on campus. It also assigns and tabulates by department/division all mail back charges for accounting purposes. All College outgoing mail is metered.
Mail Pick-up and Delivery
- A. U. S. Mail - External.
- Pick-up and delivery of mail at the Post Office occur once daily with the
approximate times as follows:
1. Pickup incoming mail: 9:30 a.m.
2. Deliver outgoing mail: 4:15 p.m.
- B. On-campus mail pick-up and delivery.
1. 10:15 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
2. 2:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Campus Mail Guidelines
In order to avoid delays in the Mail Room and to prevent any confusion, College personnel should observe the following guidelines:
- A. Bulk mail is two-hundred (200) pieces.
First class pre-sort is five-hundred (500) pieces.
- B. Letters should be in zip-code order and have a rubber band around each zip-code bundle (same zip code) with a slip of paper stating the zip code. This helps in speeding the mail through the postal system. All zip codes with six (6) pieces must be bundled together.
- C. All mail must have a charge back number and or department on the upper left-hand corner of the envelope.
- D. All personal mail must have the proper postage affixed; otherwise, it will be returned to the sender.
- A. Daily Charge backs:
Each piece of mail leaving the campus must have postage attached. For referencing the charge back number displayed on the envelope, the cost of the postage is recorded with the proper department/division. For example, a piece of mail from the Dean of Administration and Business Affairs, with a postage of 29¢, is recorded as such on the daily record.
- B. Weekly Tabulation:
All postage costs are tabulated and recorded on a weekly basis. At the end of each week all postage expenses incurred by a department/division are tabulated to show one cost for the entire week. The totals for the week are then recorded on the monthly record, listed by week.
- C. Monthly Tabulation:
At the end of each month the weekly costs are tabulated by department/ division to present an overall postage charge. The sheets are given to Accounting for back charges against the proper budget.
Back to the Policies and Procedures Main Menu