Procedure No. 905.1
Area: Facilities Management
Description: Energy Conservation Tips
Listed below are several areas where staff, faculty and students can help in conserving energy:
- Look for ways to save energy, i.e., shut off equipment when no in use; turn off unnecessary lights, fans and other equipment; turn out lights in offices, classrooms, etc. when areas are not in use.
- Use lighting only when natural sunlight is insufficient.
- Reduce lighting levels where possible. Facilities Management is available to measure existing light levels.
- Do not play with thermostats. Units are set at temperatures which comply with state and national energy codes.
- Wear appropriate clothing to compensate for lower winter temperatures and higher summer temperatures.
- Report leaking taps, toilets and urinals, broken windows, cracks and leaks, overheated roms and areas, and any other situation which wastes heat or energy.
- Limit usage of facilities during "off-hours".
- Operate blinds and shades to help insulate the buildings.
Back to the Policies and Procedures Main Menu