Procedure No. 110.1
Area: Human Resources, Academics
Adopted: March 24, 2009
Description: 60% Work Load for Teaching Staff
The Academic Affairs department shall be responsible for the initial processing of requests made by fulltime teachers for a 60% work load for up to one semester for the purpose of completing the final stage of doctoral studies at an accredited institution and/or to participate in an activity that aims to ensure the highest level of competence in a field related to the applicant’s instructional charge (see Education Association bargaining unit agreement for work load definitions).
The criteria for a 60% work load are as follows:
- Applicant has completed three years of consecutive service as a fulltime faculty member at Atlantic Cape
- Applicant is in the final stage of doctoral studies at an accredited institution in a field related to his/her instructional charge and/or will participate in an activity that aims to ensure the highest level of competence in a field related to the applicant’s instructional charge (official institutional transcript/ equivalent must be provided)
- The granting of a 60% work load shall not exceed the length of either a fall or spring semester.
- The granting of a 60% work load is deemed to not be cost prohibitive to the institution.
- The granting of a 60% work load shall be permitted only once during the faculty member’s career at Atlantic Cape.
- The 60% work load must include proportionate contact hours, office hours and participation in department and committee meetings. Such terms are to be agreed upon in writing 6months in advance of requested start date of leave.
- The granting of a 60% work load will not interrupt the delivery of instruction.
- The request for a 60% work load must be made 6 months in advance of the requested start date of leave.
- Any teaching staff member granted a 60% work load must return to the college for two semesters upon completion of the 60% work load period.
- The applicant must complete “Supplement 1: Criteria Form for 60% Work Load for Teaching Staff” and, therein, receive the endorsements of the appropriate personnel.
- The applicant must also prepare a plan that includes a statement of the objectives of the external activity engaged in during the 60% work load period. The plan should include an explanation of the benefits to the college, the employee's specific activities, and the beginning and end dates of the proposed activity.
- Final approval is at the sole discretion of the college’s Board of Trustees whose decision shall be deemed final.