Culinary Arts Degree FAQ
1. How long are the degree programs?
The full-time culinary programs, including Culinary Arts, Baking and Pastry, and Food Service Management, span a total of two years or four semesters. Students are admitted in August/September and January.
2. How much is the program?
For in-county and other New Jersey residents with a chargeback, the approximate cost of the culinary arts program is $22,770 roughly half that of comparable culinary schools. Textbooks, tools, uniforms and miscellaneous expenses are additional. For more information about tuition and fees, click here.
3. Are uniforms, textbooks, tools, and/or knives included in the tuition?
These items are not included in the tuition at this time. They may be purchased from the college bookstore, or at a convenient location, provided they meet ACA standards and requirements. For uniform, textbooks and tools information, click here.
4. Are the degree programs full time?
Yes, the culinary program is not only full time, but follows a unique schedule with classes taking place five hours a day Monday through Friday for 15 consecutive days. At the completion of each 15-day "block", there is a one-day grace period when educators complete grades and prepare for the next block. Culinary semesters follow the college calendar with allowances for winter and spring breaks. There are no culinary classes during the summer months as students are expected to complete their cooperative education requirements during this time.
5. Can I attend part time?
Our courses can be arrange as a part time schedule for those students who are looking for a more flexible schedule.
6. What time are the classes? Do I have a choice of morning, afternoon or evening?
Classes are scheduled as follows:
Morning 7 a.m.-noon, M-F
Afternoon 12:30-5:30 p.m., M-F
Evening 5:00-10:00 p.m.
Options for morning classes are offered on a first come first basis. Returning students for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, semester will be assigned classes/times upon registration.
7. When I finish the program what do I receive?
At the completion of all culinary courses, students participate in a culinary awards ceremony, where they receive a certificate of completion in the program. Based on their grade point average and criteria established by the American Culinary Federation, students may receive a gold, silver or bronze medal.
8. If I want the Associate in Applied Science Degree, are there additional courses I need to take? If so, what are they?
The additional courses needed for the degree program include the following general education credits:
- Composition I and II
- History or Humanities course
- Social Science Course
- General Education Course
- Laboratory Science Course
- Intro to Computers Course
9. Are these General Education classes included in the tuition?
All seven additional academic courses are not included in the estimation of culinary tuition charges and will average approximately an additional $2,740. These courses can be completed in the student's home county and transferred into Atlantic Cape Community College, taken on campus or completed as online courses.
10. Do you have an externship included in the program?
Cooperative education is a requirement for the culinary program. Arrangements are coordinated through the placement office in conjunction with Academy chef educators and employment opportunities.
11. When can I start the program?
Fall semester classes typically begin in late August, and end in late December. Spring semester classes begin late January, ending in early May.
12. What is the procedure for Admission into the Academy?
- Complete admission application and submit with $35 application fee.
- Contact the college testing center and make arrangements to complete the College Placement Test.
- Registration is scheduled once Placement Test scores are received. For more information about admission to Atlantic Cape, click here.
13. Do you have on-campus dorms/housing?
Atlantic Cape Community College does not have on campus dorms/housing. The housing office can provide a list of local apartment complexes and real estate offices for students seeking to secure their own housing while attending the Academy. Further information is available through the Housing Office, (609)625-1111 ext.5274 or e-mail email@example.com.
14. Do you have job placement?
The Academy of Culinary Arts is proud to boast an average of 2-3 job offers per graduate. Employment is available with caterers, large corporations, resorts and casinos in the U.S. and abroad, hotel chains, restaurants, country clubs and cruise lines. The college's Career and Academic Planning Center provides continuously updated job listings and offers a full range of services, including the placement of student resumes on a centralized web site for access by prospective employers.