Name: Tree McCann
Title: Chef Educator
Part 1: Warm gently to combine 8 oz. honey and 8 oz. light brown sugar
Part 2: Sift together: 8 oz. sifted bread or all-purpose flour, 8 oz. sifted cake flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, and 2 tsp. dried ginger
Part 3: Mix together ¼ C. milk and one egg
Part 4: Create an egg wash of 1 beaten egg with touch of salt and water
Part 5: Mix 6 oz. apricot jam with 2 oz. orange juice or apricot brandy
- Pour warmed honey/brown sugar mixture into mixer with paddle attachment.
- Add sifted dry ingredients and mix only to incorporate
- Add milk and egg mixture. Mix only to blend—dough will be sticky.
- Pat dough onto a well-floured sheet pan and cover lightly with flour and parchment paper. Refrigerate overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F. Roll out a 4-inch square of dough to ½-inch thickness. Flour your rolling surface lightly, as necessary.
- Dust edge of cookie cutter by dipping into flour. Cut shapes desired with a sharp, quick motion. Dough must stay cold.
- Place cut-outs onto parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with decorative sugar, if cookies are to be eaten plain. Bake.
- If decorating, brush with egg wash and bake only until cookies are firm and smell aromatic. Take from oven.
- While hot, brush with apricot glaze. Cool and decorate with Royal Icing and decorations.
3 egg whites
12 oz. sifted sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
Vanilla, to taste
Mix together icing ingredients and decorate.
24 gingerbread people