Landscape/Grounds Technician – Exterior
About Landscape/Grounds Technician
Atlantic Cape Community College has partnered with area landscaping and lawn care companies such as Fresh Cut Landscape Management Professionals to provide training and access to jobs upon completion of training. Employers will be on-hand during information session and during training to meet program participants. Graduates of the program will be interviewed.
Prerequisites: Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs., stand for long periods of time and operate small equipment. Candidates must obtain a language score of 7 and math score of 7 on the Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE). Drug and alcohol testing will be conducted. Note: Driver’s License is recommended. High School Diploma is not required.
Find a new career with Atlantic Cape's Landscaping Industry Certified Technician – Exterior Program.
This 125 hour course prepares students to work in an entry level position in the landscaping or grounds field. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Handbook, “Employment of grounds maintenance workers is projected to grow 13 percent from 2012 to 2022, about as fast as the average for all occupations. More workers will be needed to keep up with increasing demand for lawn care and landscaping services from large institutions and individual homeowners. Job prospects should be very good.”
This program will be comprised of the following modules:
Installation and Maintenance-Exterior (45 hours)
- Students will be able to identify specific trees, plants, evasive plants and weeds, and poisonous plants occurring mostly in South Jersey.
- Students will be able to understand the differences among plants, recognize which plants grow best in what conditions, and understand the types of soil that work best for particular plants and shrubs.
- Students will understand the value that plants and shrubs contribute to the bottom line.
- Students will learn techniques used in planting flowers and particular methods in pruning trees, shrubs and bushes.
- Students will understand the importance of safety throughout the program.
Hands-on and Internship (20 hours)
Students will learn to properly operate power blower, mower, intermediate walk-behind mower, riding mower, edger and trimmer, pruning equipment and an aerator.
Off –site location to be determined for hands-on experience.
Note: Some labs will be simulation videos and some will be hands-on experience to demonstrate equipment use.
Computer Fundamentals (15 hours)
Fundamentals Windows 7/Internet
You will learn the basic components of the personal computer, terminology of computing and fundamentals of the Windows operating system. In addition, you will be introduced to searching on the Internet, creating email accounts, sending attachments, creating an address book and organizing email. This module will help you develop job search skills necessary to be competitive in the job market.
Microsoft Word 2010
You will learn how to create and edit a Word document; use spell-check, auto correct, and thesaurus; format characters; preview and print documents; set up a mail merge; create envelopes and labels, tables, columns and produce a variety of office documents. Students will prepare their resumes upon completion.
Professional Development (15 hours)
Students will learn skills in customer service, communication, job readiness, conflict resolution and teambuilding contextualized to lawn care. Students will also conduct mock interviews during this module.
OSHA Certification (10 hours)
This section will concentrate on OSHA 10 Hours certification and define and analyze general requirements for landscaping and grounds work and equipment per OSHA guidelines. Ten hour OSHA certification will be issued for this module.
Basic Math (20 hours)
Students will learn and apply basic math concepts contextualized to the landscaping industry including how to do calculations in cut and fill, step risers, formulas and calculations for area and slope. Students will also gain knowledge about the bid process.
Class Hours: Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Length of Program: 125 hours – includes a one week, 20 hour internship, 5 weeks
- Location: Mays Landing Campus, Building T and on site locations
- Job Search Assistance: Students who successfully complete the program will receive an Atlantic Cape Community College Certificate of Achievement and employment search assistance, and will set up interviews with area landscape and lawncare companies
- Information Session: TBD
- Schedule: TBD
- Materials include textbook, work shoes, work gloves, brimmed hat, goggles, drug and alcohol testing
Content, hours and time subject to change!!
For information on future classes:
Susan DeCicco, Non-Credit Registration Coordinator
Atlantic Cape Community College
5100 Black Horse Pike, Building T
Mays Landing, NJ 08330
Phone: (609) 343-5655
Fax: (609) 343-5661