Institute for Community Development
of Southern New Jersey
A collaborative project of The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey and Atlantic Cape Community College.
In 2006, The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey (RSC) and Atlantic Cape Community College (Atlantic Cape) formed a collaborative endeavor to address the training, resource, and technical assistance needs of the regional non-profit and civic community. The formation of this collaborative was built on a strong belief by administrators at both colleges that there was a tremendous opportunity for a true collaborative venture that went beyond the traditional cooperative relationships between a community college and a four-year college and that would create a mutually beneficial partnership while working to enhance the vitality of the region.
The Institute for Community Development of Southern New Jersey, a collaboration between The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey and Atlantic Cape Community College, is a recognized leader in the cultivation of organizationally sound nonprofits and community based entities through the delivery of high quality technical assistance and training.
The mission of the Institute for Community Development of Southern New Jersey is to strengthen the organizational capacity of nonprofits and community based entities in Southern New Jersey in order to promote their organizational sustainability and achieve community resiliency. The ICD will accomplish this by providing customized, relevant and accessible technical assistance and training and by connecting our constituency to resources.
The ICD as an organization and all of its programs will reflect the following values:
- The ICD offers a range of programs that are targeted to all staff levels and stages of organizational growth.
- The Board and staff of the ICD are reflective of the stakeholders (including customers and partners).
- ICD offers financial options for ICD membership and/or programs so that cost is not prohibitive to the participation of any organization or individual.
- ICD offers a portal to the additional programs and resources available through the partner colleges.
- ICD programs are offered at a variety of locations throughout the region that are easily accessible by car and public transportation.
- The ICD itself is headquartered at a central location that is easily accessible by car and public transportation.
- “Institute for Community Development of Southern New Jersey” is a recognized name/brand by the leadership, faculty and administration of the partner colleges.
- “Institute for Community Development of Southern New Jersey” is a recognized name/brand by the nonprofit community and funding sources.
- The ICD brand is known for being an innovative joint partnership between the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey and Atlantic Cape Community College and for offering customized, relevant and accessible training for nonprofit organizations and community based entities in Southern New Jersey.
- The ICD brings to Southern New Jersey the same level of technical assistance and training as offered in major metropolitan areas such as Philadelphia.
- ICD programs include pertinent curriculum and are led by competent instructors.
- The ICD itself is governed and managed by a qualified Board and staff.
Relevant and Responsive
- ICD programs are reflective of the needs articulated by the customer base however they also anticipate unrecognized needs.
- ICD programs are “ahead of the curve” and offer instruction that is on the cutting edge of organizational development trends.
Effective and Applicable
- Feedback and follow-up features of ICD programs allow the Board and staff to gauge their effectiveness and make alterations as appropriate.
- Lessons learned in ICD trainings are able to be easily and expeditiously applied.
- The collaborative relationship between the Richard Stockton College of New Jersey and Atlantic Cape Community College will be the cornerstone of the ICD and will be reflected in all business and programmatic matters.
- The ICD will foster a culture of collaboration in which partnership organizations are encouraged to share resources and knowledge with one another.