Tutorials, Handouts and Software
The links below point to tutorials, handouts and useful software available to faculty. Some handouts require the free Adobe Acrobat reader.
Blackboard Learn 9.1
Blackboard Learn 9.1 is Atlantic Cape's web-based learning management system, used in all of our Online courses. Not only does it have communication tools such as email, messages, discussions and chat, but it also allows you to create Online tests, monitor your students' progress through activities, and it also supports many multimedia formats such as audio and video. Instructional Technology offers faculty a variety of workshops on Blackboard Learn 9.1. Blackboard has created an "On Demand Learning Center" to assist faculty in learning Blackboard Learn 9.1. Click below for audio narrated Instructor and Student Blackboard Learn 9.1 tutorials.
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 Workshop Handouts & Manuals
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 Instructor Tutorials
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 Student Tutorials
- Blackboard Learn 9.1 On Demand Learning Center
- Blackboard YouTube Channel - View Recent Webinars!
- Suggestions for Improvements to Blackboard? Click here!
Creating Accessible Files
It is important to create accessible files in order for screen readers like JAWS to be able to navigate and read the files.
- Creating Accessible PDFs
- Creating Accessible Excel Worksheets
- Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations
- Creating Accessible Word Documents
- Web Accessibility for Designers
- Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool
Jing is software to create instant screenshots and screencasts.
Mac Help and Documentation
For PC users who have switched to a Mac:
Guide for using a Mac effectively:
Polling Tools for the Classroom
Poll Everywhere is a free student response system to use in your classroom. This free application uses students' personal mobile devices to increase classroom interaction. Students can participate in classroom surveys using SMS messaging, mobile and desktop web browsers.
Prezi is zooming presentation software. It allows you to bring all of your ideas into one space and show how they relate.
- Prezi Web Site
- Prezi Audio Narrated Tutorials and Cheat Sheets
- Sign up for free Student/Teacher Prezi Edu account
SMART Board Interactive Whiteboard and SMART Notebook Software
View the links below for information on free Online training and resources for the SMART Board interactive whiteboard and the SMART Notebook software.
- Introduction to the SMART Board Interactive Whiteboard Tutorial
- SMART Board Interactive Whiteboard Training Webinars
- SMART Notebook Software Training Webinars
- SMART Exchange (Lesson Plans and Resources for your SMART Board)
- SMART Notebook Software
Turnitin is software used at Atlantic Cape to deter plagiarism. It is easy to use and quickly identifies unoriginal material. View the link below for useful handouts, manuals, and links. Turnitin Academy Live is a series of highly interactive Online professional development sessions geared toward taking instructors beyond just plagiarism prevention and toward a powerful pedagogy for 'writing to learn.' Each one-hour session explores practical methods and activities of using Turnitin in the instructional process.
Twiddla is a real-time Online collaboration tool that is free for educational uses. You can use Twiddla to create and attend password protected meetings with a custom meeting URL. Twiddla allows you to share images and documents and incorporates both chat and voice.
Venus Academic Server
The Atlantic Cape academic server ("Venus") provides native file storage and website technologies for faculty and students.
Venus also provides common web tools customized for educational use. Local hosting removes banner advertising on pages and third-party tracking for marketing purposes.
Web Page Design
View the links below for help with designing and maintaining web pages:
- Saving a Microsoft Word 2007 Document as a Web Page (PDF format)
- Saving a Microsoft Word 2007 Document as a Web Page (audio narrated tutorial)
Whiteboard Animation Videos
Whiteboard animation videos are videos that draw themselves using images, shapes, characters and sounds. Below are three web tools that you can use to create whiteboard animation videos:
- Go Animate (free trial)
- VideoScribe (free trial)
- Powtoon (free and paid versions)
- How Whiteboard Video Technology Works in Education